Seeing how the first beaver panel fits in the kiln, cutting it close for height with only 5/16″ between it and the lid but it will work. A second one- red- will go in when it’s drier. I had to … Continue reading
I decided that since I thought I have JUST enough left over mold rubber, that about the only thing small enough I could use it for is that grotesque keystone, so I got the mold out and filled it with … Continue reading
The first pressed clay is now out of the mold and she came out with a very minimal amount of surface defects that have to be fixed by hand. In the 1890s when these pieces were made the workers pounded the clay in using a small sand bag to ram the clay into the details and eliminate the little “creases” that I seem to get between pieces of clay laid in and pressed next to each other. Might help too if the clay was a little more moist and softer but I hesitate to add water since more water causes more shrinkage. To get a batch custom mixed to add a little more water I’d have to buy I believe a full ton and there’s an extra charge too.
Really want to see this in the red clay but I don’t have enough to do it and only had 50# of this white clay left.
And now 3 days later she is firmed up but not dry, so she can sit like this for about 2-3 weeks to dry before firing.
I decided to take the steps needed to be able to produce this little keystone in kiln fired terra cotta, now after several steps- the final step is pictured, I have the plaster piece-mold to do it once it dries … Continue reading
Now I have the very first hand-pressed clay from the new plaster mold out and drying, it took 50# of clay to press the design, and about 10# of that was removed during the final work on it. Now it … Continue reading
The first cast in the dirty bronze finish … Continue reading
Now I have this cast finished with the weathered terracotta finish. … Continue reading
The first cast with no finish applied to it yet … Continue reading
The template for the lion is done except for attaching the one side piece once I decided how wide the sculpture was going to be, after coming home and measuring the lions head and found it was 9″ wide, I … Continue reading
Since I have most of the 2 gallon kit of mold rubber left over that needs to be used up, I decided to set up this clay model I did in 2008 after an original polychromed terracotta at the 14th … Continue reading
Started on the positive mold of my beaver sculpture by bringing the negative mold up from the basement and applying the release agent to it, after I have dinner I’ll be applying the rubber compound. The mold in progress, and … Continue reading
The other pair of French carvings I bought arrived in a 17# package, wow, these are nicer in hand than the seller’s photos! Whomever carved these was extremely good! These have a lot of extra detailing and undercutting which took … Continue reading